Couple reunited with twin babies’ ashes

UPDATE at 6:00 PM on THURSDAY | A GOLD Coast couple has been reunited with the ashes of their twin baby girls, 24 hours after they were stolen during a break-in at their home.

Donna and Nigel Tweed were at work when thieves kicked-in the front door of their Upper Coomera home and ransacked the property on Wednesday afternoon.

Tragically, a silver trinket box containing the ashes of the couple’s twin daughters who died at birth 13 years ago was among the items stolen during the break-in.


Speaking with myGC just hours after the burglary, a distraught Mrs Tweed said she didn’t care about the cash, jewellery or laptops that were taken, but pleaded for the heartless thieves to return her babies.

She said the break-in had left her and her husband grieving the loss of their daughters all over again.

“The tears won’t stop as it feels like I lost them all over again,” Mrs Tweed told myGC.

“I pray that the people who robbed us have a heart and realise what they have taken and return them home to be at peace with their family.”

After a heartbreaking 24-hours, the ashes were handed into Coomera Police Station this afternoon.

(Source: Twitter)

(Source: Twitter)

It’s understood the trinket box containing the ashes had been placed on top of a tradies ute a few streets away from the family’s home.

Speaking to reporters outside Coomera Police Station, Mrs Tweed said she was overjoyed.

“My reaction was, have you found my baby girls and the police lady said yes,” she said.

“I was overjoyed – I was so happy … you have just completed us again so I am really grateful, thank you.”

(Source: Twitter)

(Source: Twitter)

FIRST ON WEDNESDAY | A GOLD Coast couple have been left grieving the loss of their twin baby girls all over again after their ashes were stolen during a break-in at their Upper Coomera home while they were at work.

Speaking with myGC, Donna Tweed, 50, said her husband Nigel, 51, returned home about 3.40pm on Wednesday to find the front door of their Bedroff Street property kicked-in and the house “tipped upside down”.

Mrs Tweed said the thieves made off with a pillowcase and a drawer full of jewellery, including her husband’s wedding band, a laptop and a tablet containing most of the family’s photos, passports, car keys, and New Zealand currency.

Tragically, a silver trinket box containing the ashes of the couple’s deceased daughters was also stolen.

Mrs Tweed told myGC the burglary has left her and her husband grieving the loss of their baby girls all over again.

“I am so so upset to know my wee girls are out there on there own,” Mrs Tweed said.

“The tears won’t stop as it feels like I lost them all over again.”

Mrs Tweed’s daughters, Maddison Marie & Candice Grace, were born more than three months premature on New Year’s Day in 2005 and sadly, could not be saved.

“Maddison went to heaven in our arms and Candice went to heaven before she was born as it was a really long birth for her. As they were only 23 weeks and one day, they were to early to save,” Mrs Tweed said.

“The pain never goes away you learn to tuck it away in your heart but today it feels like the day they were born.

“I pray that the people who robbed us have a heart and realise what they have taken and return them home to be at peace with their family.”

The break-in is believed to have occurred sometime between 2.50pm, after Mrs Tweed’s mother left to pick up her nieces from school, and when her husband returned home from work at 3.40pm.

In an emotional post on Facebook on Wednesday, Mrs Tweed pleaded with the heartless thieves to return her babies.

“Please, if you are reading this, I am an absolute mess as that is all I have of my babies,” she wrote.

“Please, please can you return the ashes that are in the trinket box. Keep everything else but please return my babies. Please.”

At the time of writing, the post had been shared more than 1200 times.

We asked Mrs Tweed for a photo of the silver trinket box to include in our story but unfortunately her tablet containing most of her images was stolen during the break-in.

She said the trinket box was roughly 150mm in length, 70mm wide and 70mm high and had rose buds on the top.

A Queensland Police spokesperson confirmed officers were investigating the burglary.

If you saw anything suspicious in the area between 2.50pm and 3.40pm, or have any information that could help police with their investigation please call Policelink on 131 444.

If you have information for Police, please contact Policelink on 131 444 or provide information using their online form 24 hours per day.

You can also report information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.

Jaydan is a Digital News Producer at He was appointed Managing Editor of the Junee Southern Cross newspaper at the age of 17 and has since held positions in a number of newsrooms in New South Wales and Queensland. Jaydan joined the Hot Tomato Broadcasting Company in 2013 and has been keeping the Gold Coast up to date with the latest local, national and international news online at ever since. With almost ten years’ experience in both print and digital media Jaydan is committed to providing the best coverage during major news and weather events.

Leave a Reply

1 Comment threads
2 Thread replies
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
3 Comment authors
StuartSarahJon Recent comment authors
Notify of

Cops always investigate but hardly make any arrests! Not much happens to the scum out here in Coomera and Pimpama. If you want to have a career in being a crook that’s the place to be. We need constant Police presence out here. Break-ins, car theft, Hoons in streets happens every day. I fear for my family’s lives. When is something going to be done about it. People have had enough! We feel like we are defenseless and all alone out here. I could only imagine that people will soon take matters into their own hands.


Dramatic much!


If the governments ran tougher jails, and if the magistrates ordered them into lockup: then the cops would be getting them pretty quickly, don’t worry about that. If the government and the courts cared, the cops would be onto it.