The things not to give your pet this Christmas Day

Pet owners are being urged to resist the temptation to shower their four-legged friends with treats this Christmas Day.

Vets warn that while Christmas is a time of giving, human foods can cause serious illness in animals and possible even death.

Even the Christmas ham is off the menu for dogs and cats with experts saying fatty foods like that could bring on pancreatitis which causes severe pain and shock.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

Chocolate is a definite no-go for animals because it can be toxic.

Chocolate poisoning could lead to vomiting, diarrhoea, nausea and even seizures.

Macadamia nuts are also off the list because they could cause tremors, abdominal pain, vomiting, increased heart rate and the inability to walk.

Dog trainer Lara Shannon also warns not to feed pets grapes.

“Grapes, a lot of people don’t realise can be toxic and that includes currents and raisins as well, so that means something like the Christmas cake is a definite no-no for dogs to be eating,” she said.

Cooked bones are also a danger to animals because they can splinter and damage their throats and intestines.

The RSPCA is also urging us to keep pets away from Christmas decorations warning that tinsel and wrapping paper can damage the intestines of cats and dogs if ingested.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of