This chewing gum ingredient could kill your dog

Dog owners are being warned to keep sugarless gum products out of reach of their pets, after a sweetener used in some brands has been found to be deadly to dogs.

Tonia Cox’s dog, Murphy Jo, almost died after the labradoodle accidentally ingested about 20 pieces of sugarless gum. The US woman rushed the dog, who had began vomiting and was lethargic, to the vet and was shocked to learn her pet was suffering liver failure.

Luckily Murphy Jo survived, but many other dogs haven’t been so lucky.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

Vets believe the sweetner Xylitol is the problem, and although it is safe for human consumption, it can cause severe low blood sugar, seizures and liver failure in dogs.

Sugar-free gum is the biggest culprit, but it is also used in some sugar-free candies, chewable vitamins, even some baked goods and peanut butter.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of