Toddlers perish in house fire

UPDATE @ 1.25 PM | TWO little girls, aged just two and three, have tragically died after a fire broke out at a house in East Geelong, Victoria this morning.

Police said at a press conference a short time ago that the blaze is understood to have been sparked by a toy falling onto an electrical bar heater in the front bedroom of a home on Loch Street.

Police had initially reported the children as being one and two-years-old, however they have since clarified their age as two and three.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Guthrie said the parents noticed smoke billowing from the children’s room around 8am and ran in to investigate.

The toddlers, who were asleep at the time, were rushed to hospital, however sadly could not be saved and were pronounced deceased.

A 6-month-old baby girl, who was in a different room of the home, was also taken to hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and is in a non-life threatening condition.

Detective Guthrie described the blaze as a “tragic set of circumstances” and said its had a huge affect on emergency services.

“Emergency crews are feeling very upset for the family,” he said. “No one likes being called to these.”

Police confirmed the arson squad is attending the scene, however they said the fire is not being treated as suspicious.

Investigations are continuing.

WATCH:

EARLIER @ 11.00 AM | TWO little girls, aged just one and two, have tragically died after the home they were in was consumed by fire southwest of Melbourne.

Police released a statement a short time ago confirming the devastating news.

Firefighters were called to the house on Loch Street in Geelong East shortly before 8am after the blaze reportedly broke out inside a room.

Victoria Police confirmed three young children, including a 6-month-old baby, were rushed to hospital.

Sadly, two girls aged one and two, could not be saved and were pronounced deceased.

The infant is being treated for smoke inhalation and is in a non-life threatening condition.

Police confirmed the arson squad is attending the scene, however they say the fire is not being treated as suspicious at this stage.

Investigations are ongoing.

There were no further details available at the time of writing.

Shanee is a full-time Digital Journalist and Social Media Content Producer. In 2014, Shanee graduated from Griffith University’s Gold Coast Campus with a Bachelor of Communications majoring in Journalism, Public Relations and Marketing. Since joining 1029 Hot Tomato, Shanee has been keeping you up to date with breaking news and everything Gold Coast on myGC. Shanee also writes and photographs for Peony & Page, a personal home, style and travel blog & Instagram alias she founded in 2015.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of