Total Fire ban extended with conditions set to worsen

A total fire ban has been extended for another week with more tricky conditions on the way.

The ban will run until midnight next Friday for the Gold Coast, Scenic Rim and Logan as well as other areas across the south-east.

QFES is warning that conditions over the next week will be perfect for bushfires to ignite and spread quickly.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

Under a total fire ban, all open fires are prohibited and all permits to light fires have been cancelled.

People can still use power tools but are urged to take extra care.

Temperatures are expected to start rising on Friday, with the Gold Coast forecast to reach 27 degrees.

Winds will also pick up with fire danger ratings expected to increase again.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has warned that next week will also be tricky.

“Over the weekend we expect the wind conditions to pick up, but early next week, from Monday through to Wednesday we expect temperatures to be, on average, five to eight degrees higher than what they have been previously,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“What that means is very dry conditions, roughly over half the State.”

QFES Acting Commissioner Mike Wassing says the danger is far from over.

“These are extraordinary conditions so early in the bushfire season, this is not an ordinary bushfire season,” Acting Commissioner Wassing said.

“What we’re experiencing is extraordinary dry conditions, with the extremes of dry winds and higher temperatures.

“This will continue for weeks and potentially months, there is no outlook of rain and we’re asking the community to be aware of that.”

All blazes burning in the Hinterland remain at Advice level with no threat.

Firefighters from New South Wales, the ACT, Victoria and South Australia have been on the ground today helping to strengthen containment lines.

Water bombing aircraft have also been attacking a fire that’s still burning in an inaccessible area of the Canungra Defence base.

Image | QPS

It comes as more residents spent the day surveying the damage after a fierce firestorm tore through Beechmont in the early hours of Saturday morning.

11 homes were destroyed including eight in Timbarra Drive alone.

Police have bee assisting residents today while crews have also been helping to clear trees and other debris.

Sergeant Darren Ward says residents are remaining resilient.

“The community’s doing quite well, I’ve been speaking with them, walking the streets, talking to them, making sure they have everything they need and getting anything to help them get over the process.

“They’re all going through different stages and emotions but they’re all doing ok at this stage.”

Sergeant Ward concedes survivor guilt was an issue for those who have homes to go back to.

“They feel guilty that their homes are saved while others are completely destroyed.

“To see their neighbours and the grief they’re going through, they feel that guilt that their homes survived while others didn’t.”

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of