‘Toxic substance’ burning in Gold Coast Hinterland

Residents are being urged to keep their doors and windows closed and breathing medication nearby today, after firefighters had to wear extra protection while battling a blaze in Tamborine Mountain overnight.

Crews were called to the scene on Countour Road near Shasta Drive where a vegetation fire had broken out on a reserve, shortly before 6.30pm.

The fire had spread to cover around 50 metres of land by the time firefighters arrived on scene.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

While no nearby houses or buildings were under threat by the blaze, thick smoke blanketed the area and the fire was quickly spreading downhill through the reserve.

9 crews were in attendance throughout the night, with all teams having to wear a breathing apparatus due to a ‘toxic substance’ burning.

The hot spots of the fire were extinguished by 9.30pm, though crews have monitored the still smouldering scene throughout the night and this morning.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services are asking local residents to keep breathing medication nearby if required, as the toxic substance is yet to be identified.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of