Turkey building collapse toll rises to 10

At least 10 people have been killed in the collapse of a multi-storey building in Istanbul, according to reports from pro-government media.

The residential building came crashing down on Wednesday afternoon in Kartal, a densely populated district on the Asian side of Istanbul.

Istanbul Governor Ali Yerlikaya said earlier on Thursday that the tragedy had claimed six lives.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

Disaster management agency AFAD head Mehmet Gulluoglu said it was unclear how many more people remained trapped under the debris.

Yerlikaya said the number of people rescued stood at 13.

The condition of two of three people who were listed as critical was improving.

On Thursday, five-year-old Havva Tekgoz was rescued from the debris after 18 hours, according to state news agency Anadolu.

The governor told reporters on Thursday evening that Havva was reunited with her mother, who was rescued on Wednesday.

NTV reported she was the second child to be rescued. A 9-year-old boy was saved on Wednesday.

Search crews were asking bystanders to remain silent so that any screams for help from survivors could be heard.

The Istanbul prosecutor’s office has started an investigation into the cause of the collapse.

© DPA 2019