Warning after man dies from suspected illicit alcohol poisoning

POLICE fear the public may have access to a deadly home-brewed alcohol after a man died from drinking what is believed to be illegally sourced liquor.

The 57-year-old man was rushed to Liverpool Hospital in NSW on 11 September after a fall and never recovered.

Sadly, he passed away in hospital on Tuesday.


Investigators have been advised by health authorities that the man was suffering the effects of acute methanol poisoning, with a post mortem examination still to be conducted.

During their investigations, police were told the man did regularly drink alcohol, however it was not to excess.

“It’s believed the alcohol may have been illegally sourced, and possibly home-brewed locally and distributed or sold within the community,” police said in a statement.

Ten bottles have been seized from the man’s home at West Hoxton Park and taken for forensic examination.

Detectives say the product implicated is being sold as a variety of “Rakia”or “Rakija”.

Shanee is a full-time Digital Journalist and Social Media Content Producer. In 2014, Shanee graduated from Griffith University’s Gold Coast Campus with a Bachelor of Communications majoring in Journalism, Public Relations and Marketing. Since joining 1029 Hot Tomato, Shanee has been keeping you up to date with breaking news and everything Gold Coast on myGC. Shanee also writes and photographs for Peony & Page, a personal home, style and travel blog & Instagram alias she founded in 2015.

Leave a Reply

Notify of