Emergency services have issued a warning about snake bites after a young girl sadly passed away after being bitten in northern New South Wales on Friday afternoon.
About 3pm on Friday 5 February, a six-year-old girl was bitten by a brown snake on a property near Walgett.
The girl was transported to Walgett Hospital for treatment, where doctors administered anti-venom.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
She was later airlifted to Sydney Children’s Hospital where she was placed on life support.
After the girl’s condition significantly deteriorated, she was transferred back to Walgett Hospital where she passed away on Saturday.
Following the tragic incident, paramedics have now issued a reminder to local residents and the wider community, to be wary of snakes in warmer months.
• If you are bitten by a snake, ensure someone calls Triple Zero (000) immediately;
• Until help arrives, if the bite is on a limb, apply a pressure immobilisation bandage but not so tight it will cut off circulation;
• If the bite is not on a limb, apply direct and firm pressure to the bite site with your hands (it is also important the patient is kept still); and,
• Check items of clothing that have been left outside before wearing them and if you lift something such as a rock or log, lift the object so it’s facing away from you.