A WOMAN is fighting for her life in hospital after collapsing from severe heat stress at a market on the Gold Coast.
The 45-year-old went into cardiac arrest after succumbing to the heat at Helensvale’s NightQuarter on Saturday.
The woman is believed to have been working in a shed at the market when she collapsed around 5.30pm.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
She was rushed to the Gold Coast University Hospital in a critical condition.
Addressing the media on the Gold Coast on Sunday, Senior Operations Supervisor Luke Wyatt said the 45-year-old woman had reportedly been working in the heat “throughout the day”.
“The temperature is a huge factor as well as the amount of time she spent in it. As well as the activity she was doing,” Mr Wyatt said.
The mercury had reached an official 34 degrees at the Gold Coast Seaway on Saturday. It was tipped to climb to 37 at Helensvale.
Mr Wyatt said heatstroke was extremely dangerous.
“Their thirst has gone, they’re very dry to touch, they may have an altered level of consciousness, (be) confused, they can slip into having seizures and unconsciousness,” he said.
“That can result in neurological damage, damage to the kidneys and it is a significant and dangerous event.”
Two other people also needed to be treated by paramedics for severe heat stress at the Helensvale markets on Saturday.
Mr Wyatt said a woman in her mid-30s had fainted, while a third person in their mid-60s became overwhelmed by the heat and needed help after suffering “heat related symptoms”.
The pair was taken to the Gold Coast University Hospital in stable conditions.
A spokesperson for NightQuarter released the following statement after the incidents:
“Yesterday was an unusually hot day with high humidity. NightQuarter is an Outdoor venue, most containers are fitted out with air conditioning and fans to address heat and 70 percent of the site is covered with shade structures. Bars have free water available on the front counters and security were handing out free water to patrons across the site to address the heat. NightQuarter is fortunate in that temperatures usually drop in the evening and we get a decent breeze through the site.
Last night we called Queensland Ambulance services for three incidents. This was highly unusual and unfortunate. Causes for their conditions have not been confirmed to NightQuarter. In two of the cases, we were advised that they had pre-existing medical conditions.
A popular vendor suffered a heart attack prior to opening the market. Two of our Senior First Aid Officers were on the scene immediately and administered CPR and continued until the paramedics arrived. It is a close knit community at NightQuarter and we are concerned about our vendor and her family so appreciate their privacy. We remain in contact monitoring her condition and are supporting the family through this difficult time. The incident was highly distressing for all vendors and our Management team. We wish her a speedy recovering and our thoughts are with her at this time.
NightQuarter takes all first aid incidences seriously. It is our procedure that if a person’s illness or injury requires further attention, that we err on the side of caution and get Queensland Ambulance services involved and give first aid until paramedics arrive. We have a First Aid Office, Senior First Aid Officers onsite at all times and our security are all trained in First Aid. Safety of our patrons and staff is always paramount.”