THE worst suburbs for home theft on the Gold Coast have been named, following research by RACQ Insurance.
Broadbeach, Broadbeach Waters, Mermaid Beach and Mermaid Waters topped the list, followed by Reedy Creek and Varsity Lakes.
RACQ Executive Manager Insurance Communications Mike Sopinski said the Insurer’s 2014 Home Security Index has revealed local crime rates had impacted the decision of property buyers.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“Our research shows the majority of those surveyed (81 percent) said crime rates in an area affect their buying choice,” Mr Sopinski said.
“More than half (54 percent) said they would check crimes rate in the local area, and nearly three quarters (71 percent) said previous crimes at a property would impact whether they purchase.
“Our research also shows that most break-ins are opportunistic and many householders are making it easy for thieves to enter properties through the likes of open or unlocked doors and windows.”
[signoff icon=”icon-target”]GOLD COAST HOME THEFT HOTSPOTS
1. 4132 Crestmead, Marsden
2. 4078 Ellen Grove, Forest Lake
3. 4113 Eight Mile Plains, Runcorn
4. 4128 Shailer Park, Tanah Merah
5. 4116 Calamvale, Drewvale, Stretton
6. 4114 Kingston, Logan Central, Woodridge
7. 4218 Broadbeach, Broadbeach Waters, Mermaid Beach, Mermaid Waters
8. 4207 Alberton, Bahrs Scrub, Bannockburn, Beenleigh, Cedar Creek
9. 4118 Browns Plains, Forestdale, Heritage Park, Hillcrest, Regents Park
10. 4127 Chatswood Hills, Daisy Hill, Priestdale, Slacks Creek, Springwood
* Based on RACQ Insurance’s home Security Index[/signoff]