UPDATE @ 10.00am| VICTORIAN health authorities have confirmed another person has tested positive to COVID-19, taking the cluster in Melbourne’s north to 15.
Acting Premier James Merlino confirmed they were notified of the 15th case on Wednesday morning and they will be included in tomorrow’s COVID numbers.
The person is a close contact to a previous case.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“These cases are linked, and that’s a good thing,” Mr Merlino said.
Victoria Health has identified 301 primary close contacts of the cases and 80 have returned negative results so far with more results expected today.
There are concerns hundreds more people may have been exposed to the virus after several new exposure sites were revealed, including nightclubs, bars and grocery stores.
A number of restrictions have been put in place in Victoria as a result of the latest cluster, but the Acting Premier admits the possibility of a snap lockdown is still on the cards.
“I cannot rule out taking further action,” Mr Merlino said.
“We are very concerned by the number, and by the kind of exposure sites.
“The next 24 hours are going to be particularly critical.”
26,180 people were tested across Victoria in the last 24 hours.
EARLIER @ 9.00am | All eyes will be on Victoria’s health update this morning after another ten cases of coronavirus were diagnosed over the last 24 hours.
Five of those were announced by the end of yesterday, with five more confirmed in this morning’s totals.
It’s not yet known how these infections are linked to a growing cluster in Melbourne’s north, which is understood to now be at 14.
Health authorities are expected to give more information at a press conference around 9.45 am.
It’s feared these new infections could lead to a city-wide lockdown of Melbourne, which would be the fourth major lockdown within the last year.
Reported yesterday: 10 new local cases and no new cases acquired overseas.
– 15,858 vaccine doses were administered
– 26,180 test results were received
— VicGovDH (@VicGovDH) May 25, 2021
Thousands of people are already lining up for tests today, and the vaccine rate is surging within the city.
AFL and NRL teams are working through contingency plans so as not to disrupt the footy season, with the Melbourne Storm reportedly considering staying in Queensland after tomorrow night’s game against the Broncos.
The Essendon Demons have been cleared to fly to Perth for their match this weekend too.
More to come.