POLICE have been called out to more than 60 major crashes and clocked more than 1200 drivers speeding across New South Wales on day one of Operation Go Slow.
Officers will be out in force across the state between now and midnight on Anzac Day targeting speeding, mobile phone use, alcohol and drug-affected drivers, fatigue, and seatbelt use.
Double demerits will be applicable during the highly visible operation for speeding, mobile phone, seatbelt and motorcycle helmet offences.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Police say they are concerned at the significant number of motorists already caught speeding. So far since Friday, more than 1200 drivers have been caught speeding across the state.
Two 21-year-old men had their licences suspended after they were allegedly caught travelling at speeds between 144 and 168 kilometres per hour in separate incidents on the Hume Highway at Mittagong on Friday.
Of the 38,655 roadside breath tests conducted on day one of the operation, 11 motorists were detected drink driving, one of whom police say was a 25-year-old man who had never held a licence.
He was allegedly caught driving a white Hyundai Getz along Bangalow Road at Byron Bay just after 1.30am on Friday. Police said the vehicle appeared to be exceeding the 50km/h speed limit and so they pulled it over.
However, when officers instructed the 25-year-old driver to produce his licence, he couldn’t.
“I can’t, I don’t have one”, the driver allegedly told police.
The man, who has never held a licence to drive, also returned a positive roadside breath test, blowing 0.073.
A 40-year-old man was also caught drink-driving on the same road several hours later.
His licence was suspended and he was charged with high range PCA after allegedly returning a reading of 0.171.
Meanwhile, emergency services have been called out to 65 major crashes during the first 24 hours of Operation Go Slow. Fortunately, though, none of those accidents were fatal.