15 people affected by mysterious gas discharged onto Melbourne dance floor

AT least 15 have been affected by a mystery gas that was released onto the dance floor of a Melbourne hotel.

Emergency services were initially called to reports of an assault at the Brunswick Street venue in Fitzroy just before 1am on Sunday but arrived to find more than a dozen people suffering from the effects of an “unknown substance”.

Police said they believe the gas-type substance, which is yet to be identified, was discharged on the dance floor.


In a statement, Victoria Police said at least 15 people were overcome by the fumes.

Ambulance Victoria was notified and dispatched a fleet of ambulances to the scene where paramedics scrambled to treat the affected patrons who were scattered along the street outside the hotel.

A number of people were wheeled out of the venue on stretchers, while others walked out wrapped in blankets.

The majority of those affected were treated for breathing difficulties and asthma-like symptoms.

One woman aged in her 20s was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital in a stable condition.

Fortunately, no one suffered any serious harm.

Multiple crews from the Metropolitan Fire Brigade were also dispatched to the scene and assisted paramedics in treating the patrons and making the area safe.

Investigators were unable to identify the source of the mystery substance, however, unconfirmed reports suggest that it may have been a ‘self-protection spray’ that was used by a woman on the dance floor.

Police have launched an investigation and are pleading with anyone who may have any information that could assist them to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

A 27-year-old Tullamarine man was arrested over the alleged assault but later released pending summons.