$15,000 available to help eligible Tweed-region businesses recover

Eligible small businesses, farmers and not-for-profits in the Tweed Shire can now apply for up to $15,000 through the NSW Rural Assistance Authority to help get back on their feet following the extensive flooding across the region.

The first round of support comes after the Shire successfully applied for a number of areas to be listed as “Category C” Disaster zones – allowing them to receive Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief. Currently, support is available for a number of areas around the major town centres including:

  • Murwillumbah;
  • South Murwillumbah;
  • Condong; and
  • Bray Park.

Other Tweed Shire areas including Tumbulgum, Uki, Chinderah, Mooball and Burringbar are currently being considered under a separate “Category C” application with more information soon to come.


Tweed Shire Mayor Katie Milne says the Category C support is vital for small businesses hit so hard by the disaster.

“This is really fantastic news; the floods and the clean-up have taken such an emotional and physical toll on everyone involved,” she said.

“Small businesses and primary producers are a really important part of our community life and this sort of support is critical to helping them get back on their feet.

“The damage, clean-up and recovery costs have been significant, these grants will help, but it’s so important at this time that we continue to shop local and get behind these businesses that have lost so much.”

Category C assistance includes recovery grants for primary producers, small businesses and non-profit organisations and are designed to assist with the costs of clean-up and reinstatement of businesses that have suffered direct damage as a result of an eligible disaster.

To apply for a recovery grant, small businesses in the local government areas above can contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593 or by visiting the NSW Rural Assistance Authority website.

Further information on disaster assistance is available at the Disaster Assist website and the Emergency NSW website.