A 15-year-old boy arrested in counter-terrorism raids in Sydney on Thursday morning had been under surveillance for over a year.
The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was among five people charged with conspiracy to conduct an act in preparation for a terrorist act.
He applied for bail at Parramatta Children’s Court through his barrister Charles Waterstreet.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Police prosecutor Senior Sergeant Bruce Wells argued against the boy’s release and said he posed a risk to the safety of the community.
Police allege the boy used coded text messages to communicate with his co-accused about becoming a martyr.
In one message from October 2014, the boy said: “I’m going to get to paradise through banana, God is great, no God but Allah.”
The court heard the word “banana” was a coded reference for a gun.
The court also heard the boy has been the subject of three separate raids over the last two years.
In the second raid, he was charged with possessing an unauthorised firearm and was given an 18-month good behaviour bond.
A decision on the boy’s bail is expected to be made today.