$1M reward for information into fatal Luna Park Ghost Train fire

A massive $1 million reward has today been announced for information into the fatal Luna Park fire in Sydney more than four decades ago.

The blaze erupted inside the Ghost Train ride at the popular theme park in Milsons Point around 10.15pm on Saturday 9 June 1979.

Despite desperate attempts by emergency crews, six boys and a man were killed in the inferno.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Whilst a Coronial Inquest previously found the cause of the blaze could not be determined, Homicide Squad detectives are continuing to review the circumstances surrounding the fatal fire.

The cash incentive announced today comes after the State Coroner submitted a formal request to NSW police in April for a review into the origin of the fire and the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

Police are hopeful the reward will entice people to come forward with “fresh and compelling” information that will assist detectives with their review of the case.

“Despite the passage of time, this horrific incident remains embedded in the psyche of Sydney-siders,” Minister for Police and Emergency Services David Elliott said.

“I am appealing to those who may know something but have not previously been inclined to assist.

“You now have a million reasons to come forward. This is a very unique reward, it does not require a charge or conviction of any person, it relates to information about the Ghost Train fire.”

Homicide Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty, said the review will examine all available evidence obtained over the past four decades.

“Detectives attached to Strike Force Sedgeman have commenced a review of the 1979 Luna Park fire, which will take some time to complete,” Det Supt Doherty said.

“There is a significant quantity of materials that will be re-examined including documentation, video recordings, witness statements and forensic evidence.

“We know that the families who lost loved ones during this tragic fire have suffered immensely over the years, not knowing how and why their lives were cut short.

“Rest assured that if the NSW Police Force uncovers evidence to progress a criminal investigation into this historic event, then we will,” Det Supt Doherty said.

If you have information for Police, please contact NSW Police on 131 444 or provide information using their online form 24 hours per day. 

You can report also information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via nsw.crimestoppers.com.au 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.