25yo woman arrested after mother brutally murdered in NSW

A 25-year-old woman has been charged with the brutal murder of her own mother at a Sydney home.

Officers swarmed on the St Clair home about 11.40pm on Saturday after reports of an argument involving two women.

It was there they found the body of a 57-year-old woman, who had sustained multiple injuries.


There are disturbing reports the woman cut off her mother’s head inside the family home and carried it down the street before leaving it in a neighbour’s front yard.

The woman’s 25-year-old daughter was arrested in the front yard of a neighbour’s home and has been taken to St Marys Police Station.

A four-year-old boy, who was at the home at the time of the incident, sustained a minor head injury and has been treated at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead before being released.

It’s understood the mother was babysitting the boy, who was a grandson of the victim but not the child of the woman charged.

A number of crime scenes have been established inside and outside the home and are being examined and a number of knives that were used during the crime have been seized and taken for forensic examination.

NSW Police say support is being provided for first responders, who witnessed a horrific scene.

“This is up there with one of the most significant, most horrific scenes that police have had to face,”  Detective Superintendent Brett McFadden said.

“Despite that, their professionalism and the quality of work that they’ve undertaken over the last 12 hours has just being outstanding.

“There is no doubt that it’s a distressing scene.”

Det McFadden refused to confirm the decapitation reports but admitted the woman’s injuries were horrific.

“There is no stepping away from the fact that this was horrific and a significant attack, and the injuries that the victim suffered were extensive,” he said.

Strike force Comeroy has been set up to investigate the incident.

“It is a very difficult, challenging, confronting investigation,” he said.

“A lot of considerations need to be made, such as the background about what has happened at the address.”

The family was known to police but officers say what happened was “not foreseeable”.

The woman is expected to appear before Parramatta Court today.