3 Key statements from Tostee tell-all

Did you watch the 60 Minutes interview with Gable Tostee Sunday night?

Many people have a very strong opinion about 60 Minutes and the fact that the program apparently paid big bucks to secure an exclusive with Gable.

But you can’t deny that what happened that fateful night of August 8 2014 is hugely in the public interest.


Everyone has an opinion about what Tostee did that night, when Warriena Wright fell to her death from his apartment balcony in Surfers Paradise – and because she’s sadly not here to tell her side of the story, we have to rely on his retelling of events.

Look, I didn’t want to watch the show.

I really didn’t want to hear the recording of Warriena’s distressed final moments, where more than 30 times, she screamed ‘no’; if they were uncomfortable to listen to, you can only imagine how terrifying they were to live through.

I didn’t want to, but I did squirm through parts of it, because I wanted to get a clearer idea of how a casual tinder date in our city somehow ended someone’s life.

Of his decision to record audio of their time together that evening, Tostee claimed: “The question isn’t so much, ‘why did I do that’, but ‘why wouldn’t you do that?’ I used to go out quite a lot drinking, I don’t have the best memory when I drink. It’s a just in case thing. It’s better off having something and not needing it than needing it and not having it.”

Of his decision to lock Warriena on his balcony, instead of pushing her out the front door, he claimed: “[She] was a lot, lot closer to the balcony door and it was wide open. It was the logical option at the time.”

Of his decision not to call an ambulance after her fall, and to instead wander around Surfers Paradise for an hour, Tostee said: “What had happened, had happened. There was nothing an ambulance could do to change that.”

I truly hope her family wasn’t watching, because that last statement would be very difficult to hear.

The matter has been dealt with by the courts and Gable – or more accurately Eric Thomas, as he’s now legally changed his name to become – has been found not guilty of all charges.

Where he ends up on the court of public opinion, however, is a different story altogether.