CLOSE to 2000 motorists and cyclists have been fined in a one-day blitz targeting dangerous driving in NSW.
Officers from the State’s Traffic and Highway Patrol Command issued a total of 1867 tickets on Wednesday; more than 1205 of which were issued to drivers for using their mobile phone.
A further 358 infringements were issued to motorists for seatbelt offences, and 156 were fined for not keeping left. Meanwhile, 148 bike riders were nabbed for not wearing helmets.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Commander of the Traffic & Highway Patrol, Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy said yesterday’s operation should serve as a warning for all drivers of the risks on our roads.
“Yesterday we issued nearly 2000 infringements for risky behaviours that should by now be common sense for drivers,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.
“Using a phone while driving, and not keeping left while overtaking not only puts a driver at risk, it puts their passengers, other drivers, and pedestrians at risk of death or serious injury.
“Everyone by now must know the risks to personal safety, yet I am still baffled to see over 500 people fined in one day for not wearing a helmet or seatbelt.
“So far this year, 262 people have lost their lives on NSW roads. This is eight people less than the same time last year, but it remains 262 people that should be alive.
“We need drivers to take full responsibility for their actions, to help prevent more people from dying on our roads.”
NOTE: A previous version of this article stated that more than 3000 motorists and cyclists were fined during the traffic blitz. This is not correct. A total of 1867 tickets were issued. The wrong figures were distributed to media in a press release issued by the NSW Police Force. The article has since been amended to include the correct figures.