900 families released from quarantine as Qld Health finally test two kids

Relief for more than 900 families whose kids attend a school in Logan, with news they no longer have to quarantine.

They were all placed in isolation over the weekend in relation to the child who tested positive on Friday.

Queensland Health was testing 36 close contacts from the school’s before and after school care program, but as of yesterday, two kids had not been tested because their family had rejected requests.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


It would have meant that all 900 families had to stay in quarantine for two weeks.

However, Queensland Health confirmed overnight that they were able to test the two children, whose results came back as negative.

It means most of the 900 families can now come out of quarantine and return to normal.

Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young said that she was satisfied that the risk is sufficiently low

“More than 900 families who have been doing such a great job adhering to quarantine,” Dr Young said.

“All 20 contacts in the room and the 29 who visited Mt Warren School have all come back with negative results, as have the 36 students from the before and after school care.

“That is a fantastic result so far, but we are not out of the woods yet.

“I am confident that the risk to most of those families is very low, which is why the quarantine orders will be lifted for the Windaroo State School families.

“However, the before and after school care at the early learning centre remains as a close contact location so those families will need to continue to quarantine for the full 14 days.

“I want to thank all of these families for doing such a great job in quarantine and for their actions in keeping the rest of us safe.

“I’m also pleased to confirm the family of the last two children have agreed to let them be tested, and the results also came back negative.”