A MAN in his 50s has been charged with a string of historical sex offences, allegedly committed against a number of women and children in Sydney’s north-west.
The 51-year-old was arrested at a home in Epping just after 7am on Thursday following a protracted investigation, led by the Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad.
It’s alleged the man committed ‘sexual-based’ offences on a number of female victims, aged between 14 and 40, in the Ryde and Hornsby areas on 14 separate occasions between 1989 and 2013.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Shortly after the man was arrested by Strike Force Petit detectives on Thursday, officers executed three search warrants on properties in Epping and Berrilee.
During the raids, investigators seized various items relevants to the investigation, including handcuffs.
The 51-year-old man was taken to Ryde Police Station and charged with a long list of offences, including:
- 5 counts of commit act of indecency with person 16 years or over;
- 4 counts of aggravated sexual assault – inflict actual bodily harm on victim;
- 3 counts of sexual assault – indecent act with person under 16 years;
- 2 counts of aggravated sexual assault – victim under the age of 16;
- 2 counts of sexual assault – inflict actual bodily harm with intent;
- 2 counts of stalk/intimidate intend fear of physical/mental harm;
- one count of commit act of indecency with person under 16; and,
- one count of possess or use a prohibited weapon without permit.
The accused was refused bail and due to appear before Burwood Local Court today.
If you are in immediate danger call 000 now. If you require advice or assistance, the following services offer counselling and support:
Lifeline 24/7 telephone crisis support 13 11 14
1800RESPECT 24/7 phone 1800 737 732
Gold Coast Centre Against Sexual Violence phone 07 5591 1164
Bravehearts phone 1800 272 831
You can report also information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via nsw.crimestoppers.com.au 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.