A CHEMICAL spill at the Pacific Fair Shopping Centre in Broadbeach forced the evacuation of the immediate area and left several people exposed to the fumes on Wednesday afternoon.
Emergency services were first called to the centre off Hooker Boulevard at around 4pm following reports a large quantity of hydrochloric acid had spilled in a loading dock zone.
Specialist officers arrived to find approximately one square metre of the fluid chemical on the ground.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The immediate area was evacuated as firefighters proceeded to make the scene safe and clean up the mess.
It’s been reported up to seven people are being assessed by paramedics at the scene after they were potentially exposed.
At 5pm, the incident was considered “under control”.