ACT lockdown extended for four more weeks

Canberra’s lockdown has been extended for another month as the ACT records 22 new coronavirus infections.

Of Tuesday’s cases, 14 were linked with just two in quarantine the whole time while infectious.

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr confirmed the lockdown would be extended for another four weeks until October 15.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


It was previously extended twice and had been scheduled to run until midnight this Friday.

Chief Health Officer Kerryn Coleman advised the government against lifting lockdown because of the continuing public health risk in the ACT and surrounds.

Chief Minister Andrew Barr said return of NSW’s Yass Valley Council to lockdown factored into the decision.

“This is a tough and challenging period for everyone,” he told reporters.

“It’s not a choice between a good option, and a bad option, it’s a choice in terms of what’s the least worst option available to governments.”

To soften the blow in the ACT, some restrictions will be tweaked from this weekend.

Limited private real estate inspections will be allowed, alongside additional outdoor recreation such as golf and tennis.

Year 12 students who had priority access to vaccinations are slated to return to class on October 5. Year 11 students will follow two weeks later.

Canberra has 252 active infections, with the reproductive rate of the virus sitting about one.

This means each person infected is expected to pass the disease onto one other person on average.

“I do know that this is hard and that people have had to make many sacrifices, and that the lack of connection with family and friends has made this lockdown incredibly difficult,” Dr Coleman said.

“We want to make sure that we don’t undo all the good work that the community has done to get us in this position.”

© AAP 2021