AFL star De Goey pleads not guilty in US

Collingwood star Jordan De Goey’s AFL future hangs in the balance after he was released from custody in the United States following an alleged incident at a Halloween-themed nightclub party in New York.

The 25-year-old – and friend Luke Dyson – has been charged with forcible touching and assault and was temporarily placed in a holding cell.

De Goey pleaded not guilty to the charges and is not due to face court again until December 8, after senior Magpies players are expected back at the club for pre-season training.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


The former first-round draft pick was approached by reporters after leaving court, but declined to answer any questions.

Collingwood are still attempting to contact De Goey after the alleged incident at PHD Rooftop Lounge, which took place only hours after he arrived in New York from California.

De Goey and Dyson are alleged to have approached a woman on the dance floor at the club.

The woman’s friend then confronted the pair, before Dyson allegedly struck the man in the face with a glass bottle, splitting his lip, New York police said.

Police say the woman called 911 and De Goey and Dyson were taken into custody, before they were both charged.

The Magpies released a brief statement on Sunday about their game-breaker, who finished fourth in the club’s best-and-fairest this year.

“Collingwood is aware of a report involving Jordan De Goey,” the statement read.

“The club is attempting to contact Jordan, who is in the USA, to determine the facts of the matter.

“The club will not be in a position to comment further until it has done so.”

Dyson posted several videos with De Goey on his Instagram page before the alleged incident.

The pair wore only bathrobes to the party, joking they did not have other outfits.

They were filmed shirtless posing for the camera, with Dyson pretending to down a large bottle of vodka.

De Goey travelled to America during the off-season to undergo an intensive fitness program at W Training Facility in California as he attempted to capitalise on an outstanding end to the 2021 season.

Only last week, De Goey gave several interviews saying he drew inspiration from Christian Petracca after the Melbourne star’s Norm Smith medal-winning performance in the Demons’ drought-breaking premiership.

De Goey was allowed to leave Australia under a permit due to his sponsorship with Monster Energy.

The explosive midfielder-forward is out of contract at the end of next season and was setting himself for a new career-making contract.

In August, Victoria Police had to pay legal costs to De Goey after dropping a historic indecent assault charge against him.

De Goey has played 118 games and kicked 155 goals for the Magpies after debuting in 2015.

The AFL said it is aware of the allegations made against De Goey.

“The AFL integrity department will look into the matter once more information is obtained, until then the AFL is not in a position to make comment,” a statement read.

© AAP 2021