Aged care restrictions eased as Qld dodges major outbreak

Queensland has avoided a major outbreak of COVID-19 with no new cases linked to two women who brought the virus back from Melbourne.

There was one new case recorded in the state on Monday, however it is a man in hotel quarantine and is not considered a risk.

The state’s total number of cases is now at 1089 with 11 of those still active.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


With the Melbourne group’s 14-day incubation period now over, officials have announced the easing of restrictions at aged care facilities across the south-east with visitors able to return from midday yesterday.

“Excellent news for Queensland and of course today was the very important day,” Premier Annastacia Palaszcuk said on Monday.

“I know it means a lot to the families especially over the last week or so where they haven’t been able t go in and see their loved ones.”

The Bolton Clark aged care facility in Pinjarra Hills, where a worker tested positive, will remain closed for another couple of days.

Chief Health Officer Jeanette Young says people need to stay vigilant.

“We still need to be very cautious, very careful at all times, because our aged care facilities have the most vulnerable people in our society living in them,” Dr Young said.

Dr Young praised the efforts of the public after news of the women’s positive tests first broke two weeks ago.

“So this is really good news and this is because Queenslanders came forward in their droves and got tested, please continue doing that. If anyone has any symptoms at all, no matter how mild, please come forward and immediately get tested and isolate yourself.”

The Premier says they continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation in New South Wales amid fears Queensland might have to impose further restrictions at the border.

A travel bubble between border communities, including the Gold Coast and Tweed was implemented on Friday with limited exemptions.

“There are some reports in New South Wales of untraceable community transmission, that is of deep concerns to us and we’ll be monitoring it very closely.

“It’s going to be tough on a lot of businesses, it’s going to be tough on a lot of people because there are limited exemptions and there are limited exemptions to keep Queensalnders safe.”

Police have intercepted 9046 at Queensland border checkpoints since the hard border closure came into effect on Saturday morning, with 506 people refused entry.

Another 144 people were forced into hotel quarantine while six people were issued fines for lying on border declaration forms.

Authorities have also processed 4532 people at airports across the state with six people refused entry and another 197 sent to quarantine.

Subscribe
Notify of
2 Comments
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Too soon. Look at these bloody idiot kids in Noosa.

I totally agree. It’s because of thoughtless, inconsiderate & self absorbed people like that, Qld is potentially facing a Covid19 outbreak, stupidity reigns supreme in some people!