UPDATE @ 4.00pm: A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for people in the Riverina and parts of the Central West Slopes and Plains, South West Slopes, Lower Western, Upper Western and Snowy Mountains Forecast Districts.
The Bureau of Meteorology says the severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding, large hailstones and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Wagga Wagga, Albury, Tumbarumba, Griffith, Narrandera and Cobar.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don’t walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 7:05 pm.
EARLIER @ 3.00pm: A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for people in parts of NSW this afternoon.
The Bureau of Meteorology says the thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in parts of the Mid North Coast, Hunter, North West Slopes and Plains and Northern Tablelands districts.
Locations which may be affected include Gloucester, Barrington Tops, Dungog, Murrurundi, Yarrowitch and Quirindi.
The severe thunderstorms are also likely to produce heavy rain and large hailstones in the South West Slopes and parts of the Southern Tablelands, Central West Slopes and Plains, Riverina and Snowy Mountains districts.
Locations which may be affected include Wagga Wagga, Albury, West Wyalong, Tumbarumba, Griffith and Narrandera.
The weather bureau advised that if severe thunderstorms develop in Sydney Newcastle Wollongong or surrounding areas, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.