Man charged over six hour Police chase to remain behind bars

UPDATE @ 5.00PM: A man accused of leading Police on a cat and mouse chase across the Gold Coast has been remanded in custody.

Cameron Noad, 31, was arrested after a six hour pursuit which first started in Southport on Wednesday afternoon.

Police tried to pull Noad over on Ferry Rd after he was spotted in a Nissan Navara with allegedly stolen number plates.


He was later spotted doing burnouts on tram tracks in Southport.

Noad was later tracked to Surfers Paradise where he managed to evade Police despite officers deploying road spikes.

He was eventually cornered by more than a dozen Police cars on High St before he was arrested.

Noad was charged with 11 offences including evasion, dangerous operation of a vehicle and possession of dangerous drugs.

He did not appear in person when his matter was mentioned in Southport Court and his lawyer did not apply for bail on his behalf.

Noad has been ordered to undergo a mental health assessment and will return to court on August 30.

EARLIER @ 6.30AM : MORE than a dozen police cars have managed to stop an alleged drug driver who led them on a dramatic chase through the streets of the Gold Coast overnight.

The chaos unfolded just before 3.00pm on Wednesday, when officers spotted a Silver Nissan Navara with stolen number plates driving along Ferry Road towards Southport.

Police tried to stop the ute, however it sped off, driving dangerously through a red light and in front of an oncoming tram before mounting a footpath.

A few hours later, concerned Southport residents contacted police after spotting the erratic driver allegedly doing burn outs on the tram tracks.

Police rushed to the area and attempted to stop the vehicle on Lather Street, however the man took officers on yet another chase, this time through the streets of Surfers Paradise.

Despite driving through a tyre deflation device, the Navara again failed to stop and sped off through a number of roadwork zones and red lights.

It all came to an end on High Street in Southport around 9.00pm, when scores of officers conducted a ‘tactical interception’ of the vehicle and took the man into custody.

During a search of the ute, police found a glass smoking pipe in the front seat, along with a stash of methylamphetamine.

The 31-year-old St Andrews man has since been charged with three counts of evasion, two counts of dangerous operation of a vehicle and adversely affected by an intoxicating substance, receiving tainted property and one count each of obstruct police, possession of dangerous drugs, possession of utensils and driving unlicensed.

He is due to face Southport Magistrates Court today.