Alleged killers arrested following major manhunt

A MAJOR manhunt spanning two states has ended in the dramatic arrest of two alleged killers in Sydney.

Two men wanted over a fatal shooting at a boxing match in Melbourne last week were arrested by heavily armed police at an apartment block at Bankstown last night.

They have spent the last week running from police after allegedly gunning down three men at the Melbourne Pavilion in Kensington on Friday, March 1.


One of the victims – a 30-year-old man from Craigieburn – died at the venue, while a 34-year-old Lalor man and a 32-year-old Craigieburn man survived the shooting and were taken to hospital.

It’s understood the younger man was shot dead outside the building, while the Lalor man was gunned down in the pavilion foyer before being kicked and punched.

In a statement on Saturday morning, NSW Police said the two older men remained in hospital, undergoing treatment.

The boxing match was packed with about 1000 fans, including underworld figures Mick Gatto and Toby Mitchell, and members of the Haddara family, according to reports.

Following a major interstate manhunt for the shooters, two men aged 25 and 28 were arrested by the NSW Tactical Operations Unit at an apartment block in Bankstown, in Sydney’s southwest, just after 9.30pm on Friday.

The 25-year-old man was arrested and taken to Bankstown Police Station where he was charged with a Victorian arrest warrant for murder.

One of the alleged shooters jumped from a balcony in an attempt to escape (Source: NSW Police)

In a further attempt to flee police, however, the older man allegedly jumped from a balcony to a lower floor.

He was arrested and assessed by paramedics before being taken to Liverpool Hospital for treatment.

The will be charged with a Victorian arrest warrant for murder once he is released from hospital.

The men were both expected to appear in Parramatta Bail Court later today, where Victoria Police will apply to have them extradited back to Melbourne.