Mining Magnate Andrew Forrest has today made a record-breaking $400 million donation to a number of charities.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull made the announcement at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday.
“Andrew and Nicola Forrest are making a donation today of $400 million,” Turnbull said.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“This is the biggest single philanthropic gift in our history and the largest donation by living Australians”.
“It is a game changer in the Australian philanthropic community and it will change the lives of thousands of people here in Australia and around the world.”
Mr Turnbull said the large donation was an “extraordinary act of love, generosity and leadership”.
The funds will be dispersed as follows:
- $75 million for co-ordinating world cancer institutes to make lethal cancer history for the coming generation
- $50 million towards building stronger communities
- $75 million for higher education and breakthrough research
- $75 million towards giving every child their best chance
- $50 million towards creating equality of opportunity among all Australians
- $75 million towards removing modern slavery from human history
— Nine News Adelaide (@9NewsAdel) May 22, 2017