Who would have thought, six years after the Angry Bird phenomenon the addictive little guys would be back, with vengeance?
The Angry Birds Movie (yes you read it correctly) features the voices of actors Jason Sudeikis, Danny McBride and Josh Gad and has soared to the top of the US Box Office following its opening weekend.
It made $US39million in the US and Canada alone, compared Captain America: Civil War $US33.1m.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The colourful creatures (pictured) first came to fame through a simple smart phone game that turned into addictive play around 2010.
The characters have been expanded by Rovio Animation at a cost of about $US73million, but have raked in around $US150m in just a few days at cinemas across the world to knock Captain America off his perch.
TOP FILMS AT US AND CANADA BOX OFFICE:
1. The Angry Birds Movie, $US39 million
2. Captain America: Civil War, $US33.1 million
3. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, $US21.8 million
4. The Nice Guys, $US11.3 million
5. The Jungle Book, $US11 million
6. Money Monster, $US7.1 million
7. The Darkness, $US2.4 million
8. Zootopia, $US1.7 million
9. The Huntsman: Winter’s War, $US1.2 million
10. Mother’s Day, $US1.1 million.