Aus govt slammed for ’embarrassing’ handling of Novak Djokovic’s Visa

The Novak Djokovic Visa debacle is entering its sixth day as the Australian government is labelled ‘an embarrassment’ over the handling of the situation.

Border Force is now looking into whether or not the tennis star lied on his Visa application to get into the country.

He apparently ticked ‘no’ to the question that asked whether or not he’d travelled internationally in the lead up to his arrival.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


However, a photo posted to social media shows that he had been in Serbia when he was supposed to be in Spain.

There are also several question marks over the claim that Djokovic has tested positive to Covid-19 on December 16 before he was then spotted mingling at a children’s event without a mask on December 17.

His family abruptly ended a press conference this week when questioned about it.

Australia’ Immigration Minister Alex Hawke has the special powers to re-cancel the World Number One’s Visa, even after the initial cancellation was overturned in court.

However, the call is yet to be made.

Federal Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese has slammed the government for it’s handling of the whole issue, labelling it a national embarrassment.

“It’s just a mess, isn’t it? Everyone can see that,” Mr Albanese told Sunrise this morning.

“The federal government is the body that issues Visas to Australia and it’s yet to explain how it is that the visa was granted, if the conditions hadn’t been met.

“And what we see here is just another failure, a problem becoming a crisis before the government actually acts.

“And when you look at the issues of vaccines, testing, tracing and when it comes to quarantine – that’s a grand slam of failures that this Morrison government has presided over.

“It’s a very embarrassing issue for Australia given this story has been the biggest story in sport for months,” Mr Albanese said.