UPDATE @ 8.30 AM | IN an unprecedented move, the Federal Government has today issued a compulsory recall for millions of vehicles fitted with potentially deadly airbags.
Assistant Minister to the Treasurer Michael Sukkar made the major announcement at a press conference at Parliament House on Wednesday morning.
“I have today issued a compulsory recall notice for vehicles fitted with defective Takata airbags, following an extensive safety investigation by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission,” Mr Sukkar said.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“The safety of all Australians is the highest priority of the Federal Government.”
More than 2.3 million vehicles fitted with defective Takata airbags are involved in the mass recall, including cars made by Ford, GM Holden, Mercedes Benz, Tesla, Jaguar, Land Rover, Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda.
It comes following a voluntary recall made by a number of car manufacturers including BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, GMC, Honda, Jeep, Lexus, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota, Volvo and Hino Trucks last year.
Mr Sukkar said the compulsory recall “places requirements on vehicle manufacturers, dealers, importers and other suppliers to ensure that dangerous Takata airbags are located and replaced as quickly as possible.”
“Absolute priority will be given to replacing alpha airbags, which pose an immediate and critical safety risk,” he said.
“If a recalled vehicle has an alpha airbag, there is an immediate and extreme safety risk and these vehicles should not be driven.”
Worldwide, there have been at least 23 deaths and over 230 serious injuries reported as associated with defective Takata airbags.
In Australia last year, a man was tragically killed and a woman was seriously injured.
Mr Sukkar said that over the next two years, manufacturers will be required to progressively identify their recalls and replace airbags in affected vehicles.
A list of recalled vehicles can be found on the Product Safety Website.
Motorists who have a recalled vehicle are being urged to contact their local dealer or manufacturer to book in a time to have the defective airbag replaced for free.
EARLIER @ 6.30 AM | ONE of the largest car recalls in Australian history is expected to be made today by the Australian Government.
It’s reported more than two million vehicles, which are fitted with potentially deadly Takata airbags, will be involved in the recall.
Assistant Minister to the Treasurer Michael Sukkar is expected to make the announcement at a press conference at Parliament House at 8.00am.
It follows a voluntary recall made by a number of car manufacturers last year.
In an Australian first, the Government has ordered a compulsory recall of MILLIONS of cars to fix exploding airbags. pic.twitter.com/UxjwWLSRfX
— Sunrise (@sunriseon7) February 27, 2018
More to come.