Berlin attack suspect released; Chance attacker is still at large

A Pakistani refugee detained on suspicion of carrying out a deadly truck attack on a Christmas market in the German capital of Berlin has been released from custody.

It comes just hour after Berlin’s police chief Klaus Kandt admitted they weren’t sure they had the right guy.

“It is in fact unclear whether (the suspect) was the driver,” Kandt said during a press conference earlier on Tuesday (local time).


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


One Monday night, the truck slammed through crowds at the busy Christmas markets, killing twelve people and injuring 48, 18 severly.

 

Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said the arrested man, who denied involvement, is probably from Pakistan and in the process of applying for asylum.

Earlier,  Die Welt newspaper later quoted security sources as saying the arrested man is not believed to be the perpetrator.

“We have the wrong man,” a police chief told the paper. “And therefore a new situation. The true perpetrator is still armed, at large and can cause fresh damage.”

Police said on Twitter: “The temporarily arrested suspect denies the offence. Therefore we are particularly alert. Please be also alert.”

MORE TO COME.

 

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments