Border bubble talks to continue as Qld mulls options

Queensland officials are reportedly considering a number of options for a border bubble with the Tweed following high-level talks on the weekend.

Queensland’s State Disaster Coordinator Steve Gollschewski and New South Wales Border Commissioner James McTavish met on Sunday to work through how a bubble could operate.

New South Wales is adamant moving checkpoints south to the Tweed River won’t work and will cut off half the shire.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Queensland insists it is the only solution despite a border bubble operating last year without the need to move checkpoints.

It comes as the New South Wales government becomes increasingly concerned at Tweed Hospital being left short-staffed and is hopeful a border resolution can be reached sooner rather than later.

“New South Wales officials along with Queensland officials have tried to work through a series of new changes. That’s being considered today by Queensland Health and the Queensland government and we’re again to meet tomorrow morning,” NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro said on Monday.

“These are the issues that are hampering workforce flow across that border, families reuniting, what are the essential workers?

“Those communities are interconnected and work closely and service delivery for goods and service delivery is important in the Tweed. So we’re working towards an outcome to support the tweed community and of course the southern part of Queensland but we’re yet to land that.”

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk told reporters on Sunday that the ball was in New South Wales’ court.

“I just hope that the New South Wales government can work with the Queensland government here because it’s having an impact on families’ lives,” The Premier said.

“So we’ve extended the olive branch and we’ll hand it over to New South Wales now to see if they will come to the party.”