TWELVE foreign nationals convicted of serious crimes, including violent and child sex offences, have been booted from Australia.
Australia Border Force officers removed the dangerous foreign-born nationals last week, as part of a major crackdown.
Among them was a 55-year-old UK national from Perth with a significant criminal history, including more than 4 years imprisonment for criminal damage by fire and a number of other serious convictions dating back to 1988.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Another UK national, a 48-year-old man, was removed from Brisbane on Thursday after being jailed for 12 months for possessing child exploitation material.
A 79-year-old British national was removed from Sydney Airport last Wednesday. He was convicted of numerous counts of assault and committing an act of indecency against a child under 16 years.
Three men from New Zealand were also removed last week for a range of offences including drug trafficking and assault.
And on Friday, a 31-year-old Indian national was removed from Sydney. The man had previously been sentenced to two years imprisonment for using a carriage service to groom a child under 16 years for sexual activity.
ABF Commander Field and Removal Operations James Copeman said the removals demonstrate the ABFs commitment to protecting the Australian community.
“The ABF plays a critical role in locating, detaining and removing unlawful non-citizens that pose a threat to the Australian community, particularly those involved in exploiting children and the vulnerable,” Commander Copeman said.
“We will continue to identify those foreign nationals who have been convicted of violent offences, drug offences or crimes against children and will remove them as quickly as possible. The Australian public has a right to feel safe.”