The State’s top cop has described the alleged gang-rape of a 5-year-old boy on a beach in Far North Queensland earlier this month as an “absolute tragedy”.
The alleged assault happened just after 7.00pm on July 1, at a beach in the remote indigenous town of Napranum, on the Cape York Peninsula.
Police have since confirmed three juveniles are being dealt with.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“Three boys, aged between 10 and 13, will be dealt with under the provisions of the Youth Justice Act after the alleged rape of a five-year-old boy earlier this month,” a Queensland Police spokesperson said.
At a press conference on Friday morning, Queensland Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll said she was extremely saddened by the incident.
“Sadly yes, we did investigate that… As you would see it appears to be a group of teenagers,” she said.
“It’s an absolute tragedy, its been dealt with and we’re working with the community.
“It shouldn’t happen. And it’s tragic. It has been investigated, and as I said we are working with the victim, the families and obviously the offending children as well.”
If you are in immediate danger call 000 now. If you require advice or assistance, the following services offer counselling and support:
Lifeline 24/7 telephone crisis support 13 11 14
1800RESPECT 24/7 phone 1800 737 732
Gold Coast Centre Against Sexual Violence phone 07 5591 1164
Bravehearts phone 1800 272 831