BREAKING: NSW records highest number of new cases in a day

NSW has recorded its worst day of the pandemic so far, with 919 new local COVID-19 cases detected.

There has also been a further two deaths, involving a man in his 80s and a 30-year-old woman whose death was reported yesterday.

The woman passed away at home, with NSW Health confirming her death is being investigated by the coroner.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


It brings the total number of COVID-related deaths during the state’s latest outbreak to 76.

Of today’s new locally acquired cases, 178 are linked to a known case or cluster, with the source of infection for the remaining 741 cases still under investigation.

At least 55 were out and about in the community for all or part of the infectious period, while the isolation status of 758 cases remains under investigation.

The suburbs of concern remain Guildford, Auburn, Merrylands, Greystanes, Granville, Punchbowl, Yagoona and Blacktown.

“We urge everyone in those communities to stay home… Please assume you or somebody you have come into contact with has the virus,” NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said on Wednesday.

There are currently 645 cases in hospital, with 113 people in intensive care, 40 of whom require ventilation.

In the past 24 hours, more than 149,252 people came forward for testing, up on the previous day’s total of 138,472.

While more than 45,073 people rolled up their sleeves to receive the COVID-19 jab in 24 hours to 8pm last night.

It takes the total number of vaccines administered in NSW to 6,143,824.

“Nearly one third of our population is fully vaccinated,” Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.

“If we keep these rates up we will hit further milestones.”

Meantime, Deputy NSW Premier John Barilaro has shut down reports the regional NSW lockdown is being extended by six weeks.

The stay-at-home order is due to end on Saturday, however Tweed MP Geoff Provest on Wednesday revealed that he had been told it was being extended for more than a month.

Speaking to reporters a short time ago, Mr Barilaro confirmed a decision had not yet been made.

“Thanks for the newsflash,” he said.

“The government and the crisis committee will be considering what happens after Saturday… We haven’t made any decision around extension of these restrictions of lockdown for regional NSW.

“But as you can see in the numbers, the Central West isn’t getting better, the Far West, Hunter and New England even though under control still has cases.

“We’ll take advice from Dr Chant and her team and the crisis committee will make a decision and will do it sooner rather than later.”