BREAKING | Multiple killed in ‘explosion’ at Manchester concert

UPDATE: POLICE have confirmed 19 people have been killed and more than 50 injured following a reported explosion at the Manchester Arena in England.

“Just before 10.35pm on Monday 22 May, police were called to reports of an explosion at Manchester Arena,” Greater Manchester police said in a statement.

“So far 19 people have been confirmed dead with around 50 others injured”.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Police confirmed they were treating the blast as a terrorist incident.

“This is currently being treated as a terrorist incident until police know otherwise”

Emergency services have swarmed on the area with people warned to stay away.

“Please AVOID the area as first responders work tirelessly at the scene,” police tweeted.

It’s understood pop star Ariana Grande had just finished performing at the arena when the loud bang, which was captured on a nearby motorists dash cam, was heard.

Grande’s management have since confirmed that she is unharmed, with the singer tweeting not long ago that she is “broken”.

Sky News says that many of the concert-goers are children and teenagers who have been separated from their parents.

“With no trains running, taxi drivers have been offering to take children home and hotels offering to look after them until their parents can get there,” the news outlet reports.

The bomb squad have arrived on scene with investigations into what exactly occurred ongoing.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk confirmed on Tuesday that there was no known threat to the state.

“I can also add that the Police Commissioner has assured the Government that, at this stage, there is no known threat to Queensland and the level of threat remains unchanged.”

“I’m further advised that the Commissioner will receive a briefing from the Australian Federal Police later today.”

Facebook has also activated its safety check feature, allowing people in the affected area to let their friends and family know they are okay.

It’s not yet known if any Australians were killed or injured in the incident.

Australians who cannot get in contact with loved ones can call DFAT on 1300 555 135 or +61 2 6261 3305 if overseas.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments