BREAKING: QLD orders people from four Sydney LGAs into lockdown

Queensland will impose stay-at-home rules for anyone currently in the state who has been in four Sydney council areas that have been placed in lockdown.

The New South Wales Premier announced on Friday that anyone who lives or works in the City of Sydney, Woollahra, Waverley or Randwick council areas will be placed into a seven-day lockdown from midnight tonight.

It comes after New South Wales recorded 22 new cases, taking the Sydney cluster to 65.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Queensland Health has announced it will apply the same lockdown rules for anyone who is in Queensland who has been in those four council areas since June 11.

That means those people can only leave home for a handful of reasons including essential shopping, essential work, medical care or to care for a relative.

The lockdown has been imposed for seven days.

Read more: Parts of Sydney placed into lockdown after huge spike in COVID cases

Chief Health Officer Jeanette Young is urging people to be sensible.

“If you’re one of these people, please don’t rush off to another location on holiday – if you do, you’ll still need to follow these rules wherever you are,” Dr Young said.

The hotspot declaration for those areas is also being backdated to June 11.

That means any Queensland resident who returns home after 1am Saturday who has been in those areas in the last fortnight will be forced into hotel quarantine.

Dr Young says she is growing increasingly concerned at the escalating situation in New South Wales.

“I continue to urge all Queenslanders to reconsider their need to travel to New South Wales during this time.”

She is also urging people to monitor the list of exposure sites, with more than 200 venues now impacted.

“Locations are being added multiple times throughout the day, so it’s absolutely vital people keep checking that list,” she said.

“If you have been to any of the exposure sites at the specified times, you must follow the specified health advice.”

Dr Young has also raised concerns about the potential for Sydneysiders to travel to northern New South Wales over the school holidays.

As a result, anyone entering Queensland, including those previously exempt will be forced to complete an online travel declaration from 1am Monday.

Read more: Two new local cases in Qld, border passes reintroduced for northern NSW residents