Qld’s latest COVID-19 case hosted party with 25 people

It’s been revealed a Brisbane man who tested positive to COVID-19, held a party for 25 people at his home while still awaiting his test results.

Queensland Health revealed the concerning development in a statement on Saturday afternoon.

“The Strathpine man hosted a gathering of around 25 people at his home between being instructed to isolate and getting his positive test results,” Qld Health said.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Everyone who attended the party has now been placed into quarantine, as contact tracers desperately work to establish their potential exposure to other members of the community.

The man, aged in his 20s, is the second confirmed case in Queensland in the past two days.

He is a close friend of a 26-year-old man who tested positive late Thursday night, with that case confirmed to be linked to the Brisbane cluster two weeks ago.

An updated public health alert has now been issued to include venues the latest case visited, however authorities say more are likely to be added following the latest development.

Anyone who has been to any of the venues below is being told to immediately isolate and get tested.

LOCATIONS:

20/3/2021 Black Hops Brewery East Brisbane 12:22pm 1:51pm
20/3/2021 Green Beacon brewing Co. Teneriffe 2pm 3:12pm
20/3/2021 Eatons Hill Hotel Eatons Hill 3:44pm 5:30pm
22/3/2021 PCYC Lawnton Lawnton 7:16am 8:10am
22/3/2021 Bunnings Lawnton 3:15pm 3:30pm
22/3/2021 Strathpine Plaza Shopping Centre Strathpine 3.43pm 3.49pm
23/3/2021 Zambrero Lawnton 12:51pm 12:55pm
23/3/2021 Lawnton Fruit Market Lawnton 1.57pm 2.05pm
23/3/2021 Nellas Gourmet Tucker Lawnton 3:37pm 3:47pm
23/3/2021 Poolwerx Strathpine Strathpine 3.15pm 3.57pm
23/3/2021 Dan Murphy’s Strathpine 7:26pm 7:36pm
24/3/2021 Hungry Jacks Strathpine 7.47pm Drive through
24/3/2021 Lawton Country Markets Lawnton 2.36pm 2.43pm
25/3/2021 BWS Strathpine 6:15pm ~6:30pm
25/3/2021 Ceres Pizza Café Strathpine 7.00pm 7.58pm

EARLIER @ 12.00 PM | Queensland has recorded one new local COVID-19 case today, with a close contact of a Brisbane landscaper testing positive.

The man, who lives in Strathpine, is a close friend of the 26-year-old man who tested positive on Thursday evening.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said contact tracers are now desperately working to find out everywhere the new case may have visited.

However, Ms Palaszczuk has again stressed that there is no need for Queenslanders to be alarmed.

“We are not seeing large scale community transmission, this is a close contact,” she told reporters on Saturday.

“That’s very good news, but the next two days are going to be critical for us.”

Both men are now being treated in the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, with genome sequencing underway to confirm they are linked.

Genomic testing yesterday confirmed the Brisbane landscaper had the highly contagious UK variant and was linked to the Brisbane cluster earlier this month.

Health Authorities said the man had visited a number of locations across the region over the past week, however, the Carindale Westfield shopping centre and Mama’s Italian restaurant in Redcliffe are the main concern.

“We really want people from that Carindale shopping centre that were there between 12pm and 2:16pm last Saturday, to please come forward and get tested,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

Anyone who was at the Italian restaurant between 12:30pm and 3:10pm on Sunday is also being told to get tested.

“That’s pretty crucial so we can we can rule out any further community spread,” the Premier said.

Queensland Health is expected to provide a list of venues the second virus case visited in the coming hours.

However, the current public health alert with the full list of exposure sites can be found here.

“We are expanding our contact tracing to capture close contacts of both of these cases and will release an updated list of locations they visited,” Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young said.

In the meantime, anyone who feels sick is being urged to come forward and get tested immediately.

It comes after almost 7000 people were swabbed for the virus yesterday, a number the state’s top doctor is praising.

“Thank you to every single person who came forward and got tested yesterday. There were triple the number of people who normally get tested on average in Brisbane, which is excellent,” Dr Young said.

“Please, could people continue to do that… Any symptoms at all, particularly if you live in Brisbane or Moreton Bay Regional Council, please come forward and get tested. 

“And it’s important that people maintain social distancing, go outside, the most beautiful, beautiful weather possible in Brisbane this weekend, so go outside, maintain social distancing, hand hygiene, all of those things are really important, particularly for the next few days as we contact trace all of the people who have potentially been infected.”

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has backed Queensland’s contact tracing system, telling reporters at a press conference in NSW on Saturday that he has faith the sunshine state will get on top of the latest outbreak.

“The Queensland Government’s got this, they’ve got a strong tracing system, they’ve got a very strong public health system there in Queensland I have a lot of faith in that,” Mr Morrison said.

“I’ve seen it in action before and I think we have to back our people to keep this under control, and I have no doubt the Queensland Government will do that.

“I spoke to the Chief Medical Officer about this yesterday and he shares my confidence.”

Another five returned travellers also tested positive in hotel quarantine overnight.

It takes the number of active cases in the state to 71.