A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for parts of South East Queensland this afternoon.
While the Gold Coast has been included in the warning, the storm seems to be tracking more towards Redland City, Brisbane City and parts of Ipswich and Logan.
“The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 3:10 pm, severe thunderstorms with damaging winds and large hail were detected on the weather radar near Ipswich, Redbank Plains and Lake Manchester,” BOM said.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“These thunderstorms are moving towards the east and are forecast to affect Brisbane CBD, Beenleigh, Logan City, Manly, Enoggera Reservoir and Wynnum by 3:40 pm and Cleveland, Dunwich, Peel Island, Point Lookout, southern waters of Moreton Bay and Amity Point by 4:10 pm.”
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 4:20 pm.