NRL bosses will no doubt be breathing a massive sigh of relief, with tomorrow’s grand final all but confirmed to go ahead at Suncorp Stadium.
It comes after Queensland recorded two new local COVID-19 cases on Saturday, both linked to Brisbane’s growing aviation cluster.
The State’s Health Minister confirmed the new cases are the children of the man who tested positive yesterday after spending four days holidaying on the Southern Gold Coast last week.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“We are still investigating whether they have spent any time in the community while infectious,” Yvette D’Ath said.
“They are young individuals in that household so it’s unlikely that they’ve been to other exposure sites beyond what their parents have.
“But of course that investigation is occurring at the moment.”
It means there’s still been no unlinked community transmission across the state, paving the way for tomorrow’s NRL showdown.
Ms D’Ath said while we’re not out of the woods just yet, things were looking good for the state.
“A day is a long time in COVID, but things are looking really positive,” the Health Minister admitted to reporters on Saturday.
“To know that we had five clusters happening and the reality is that we have not seen any community transmission beyond the actual workplace and household contacts is great news,” she said.
“But it is reliant on people coming forward and getting tested so we can see if there is any transmission happening out there and we can get on top of it very quickly.
“If people keep coming and getting tested and vaccinated, we’re very hopeful that we’re going to have a great long weekend.”
From 1.00am tomorrow, the Richmond Valley Local Government Area in NSW will become a hotspot after the town of Casino was forced into lockdown overnight.
“So please, anyone who is in that area or travelling to that area be aware of the changes from 1am tomorrow morning,” Ms D’Ath said.
It comes after the northern NSW town of Kyogle was removed from the border bubble on Saturday morning.
Health officials also confirmed that the animal freight driver announced in yesterday’s numbers is no longer a concern.
The man, from NSW, was feared to have been infectious on the Gold Coast for at least one day on September 29.
But NSW Health has since confirmed that his test was a false positive and that he does not have the virus.