Victoria is scrambling to shut down another potential outbreak of COVID-19, after seven new locally acquired infections were recorded today – on top of the one already announced earlier this morning.
Four of the seven new cases are residents who live on the third floor of the Ariele Apartments in Maribyrnong.
The building was plunged into lockdown on Monday after two removalists from Sydney attended the complex on Thursday while infected with the virus.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Victoria’s COVID-19 Testing Commander Jeroen Weimar said the removalists arent being as open as authorities had hoped.
“It’s been a frustrating and challenging set of conversations and continues to be so,” he said.
“They’re not being deliberately forthcoming.”
Of the four cases from the apartment building, one is a man in his 60s who has subsequently also infected his elderly parents who live in Craigieburn.
The man was in the crowd at Saturday’s AFL clash between Carlton and Geelong, with the MCG now listed as a COVID-19 exposure site.
More than 2000 close contacts have been identified.
He also visited a number of stores at Highpoint shopping centre between 10am and 2pm on July 9.
The remaining new case is a man in his 30s who visited Coles in Craigieburn on Saturday, at the same time as a member of a family who tested positive after returning from NSW.
There are now 19 active COVID-19 cases across the state.