British man refused bail over fatal Tweed hit and run

UPDATE @ 5.00PM: A British National charged over a fatal hit-run near Tweed Heads will remain behind bars until at least November.

Graham Belcher, 52, made a brief appearance in Tweed Heads Local Court today via videolink.

Belcher made no application for bail during his appearance today and it was formally refused.


The court heard he was unlicensed at the time of Monday’s accident at Tumbulgum, that killed 39-year-old Scott Rose.

Belcher was allegedly behind the wheel of a blue Hyundai that collided with Mr Rose and another motorcyclist before he fled the scene.

He was arrested in the early hours of Tuesday morning and Brisbane Airport attempting to board a flight to the UK via Hong Kong.

Mr Rose’s mother Sheryl has praised Police for catching Belcher before he could leave the country.

“Hats off to the Police I tell you, I’m just so proud of them catching him like that,” Mrs Rose told Seven News.

Mrs Rose described Scott as a fantastic husband and son and says it’s left the family heartbroken.

“We’re just absoluetly devastated.

“It’s not nice for a mother and father to have to go to the morgue to identify their son.”

Mr Rose worked as a maintenance technician at Movie World and Sea World.

His shattered colleagues have been offered counselling.

EARLIER  @ 6.20AM: A British man has been charged over a fatal hit-run near Tweed Heads.

It comes after he was dramatically arrested at Brisbane Airport while trying to flee the country with a one way ticket.

52-year-old Graham Belcher is accused of driving the vehicle that collided with two motorocycles on Tweed Valley Way in Tumbulgum on Monday afternoon, which resulted in the death of 39-year-old Scott Rose.

A 51-year-old man was also injured in the incident.

A Brisbane Magistrate yesterday approved his extradition to New South Wales.

He was transported to Tweed Heads Police Station yesterday afternoon, where he was formally charged with multiple offences.

His charges include the following:

  • dangerous driving occasioning death – drive manner dangerous,
  • fail to stop & assist after vehicle impact causing death,
  • negligent driving (occasioning death),
  • cause bodily harm by misconduct in charge of motor vehicle,
  • drive while licence cancelled,
  • not give way to vehicle (give way sign/line), and;
  • driver fails/refuses to disclose his identity

He’s due to face Tweed Heads Court today.

EARLIER @ 5.30PM: A British national allegedly involved in a fatal hit-run near Tweed Heads has been extradited to New South Wales after fronting court in Brisbane.

Graham Belcher, 52, was arrested at Brisbane Airport early this morning while trying to board a flight to the UK via Hong Kong.

He’s accused of being behind the wheel of a blue Hyundai hatchback that collided with two motorcyclists at Tumbulgum yesterday.

One rider died at the scene while the second suffered minor injuries.

A magistrate today approved his extradition to New South Wales with Belcher’s lawyer saying there would be no application for bail.

He was brought to Tweed Heads Police Station this afternoon where he’ll be formally charged with seven offences including dangerous driving occasioning death.

He’s expected to front Tweed Heads Court tomorrow.

It comes as Police located the Hyundai allegedly involved in the incident.

The vehicle was found at in Terranora and has been seized for forensic examination.

EARLIER at 9.30am | NSW Police have confirmed they have arrested a man, who fled the scene of a fatal hit and run near the Tweed, as he tried to board a flight at Brisbane Airport.

The 52-year-old man was stopped just before 2am on Tuesday as he was preparing to board a flight to Hong Kong.

He is currently being held at Brisbane watch house while crash investigations work to extradite him back over the border.

It follows a collision between two motorcycles and a car at the intersection of Riverside Drive and Tweed Valley Way in Tumbulgum about 3.20pm yesterday.

One of the male riders died at the scene while the other male rider was taken to Tweed Heads Hospital with minor injuries.

The driver of the vehicle failed to stop.

Police are still searching for the vehicle involved in the crash, a late model 2019 Blue Hyundai I30 with QLD registration 170-ZCP.

It is believed the vehicle has considerable damage to the right-hand side and a missing front registration plate and could be in northern NSW or South East Queensland.

Police have reportedly been searching train stations around the Gold Coast.

EARLIER @ 8.15am | A British National has reportedly been arrested trying to flee the country, after a fatal hit and run near the Tweed yesterday.

Police are still searching for a blue Hyundai hatchback with the registration 170ZCP, with police scouring local train stations.

The car is understood to have been involved in a crash on Tweed Valley Way yesterday afternoon, which killed a motorbike rider and injured another.

The driver then fled the scene.

Reports today indicate police have arrested a 52-year-old man at the Brisbane Airport over the incident.

It’s understood he was holding a one way ticket to England, after catching the Air Train through to the airport.

Earlier article: Driver flees after motorcyclist killed in collision with car