Belgian authorities have cancelled New Year’s Eve celebrations in the capital of Brussels over fears of a terror attack.
The Mayor of the city said the decision was made on Wednesday evening after consultation with government officials.
“Together with the interior minister, we’ve decided to not have the celebrations on Thursday evening,” Brussels mayor Yvan Mayeur told the state broadcaster RTBF on Wednesday.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“We are forced to cancel considering the risk analysis done by the Crisis Center,” he added.
It comes after federal prosecutors arrested two people in the city on Tuesday, suspected of plotting an attack in Brussels on New Year’s Eve had been arrested during house searches in different parts of the country.
Belgium was also home to four of those suspected to have been involved in the deadly terror attacks in Paris last month which killed 130 people.