UPDATE @ 11.00am: Cardinal George Pell has been committed to stand trial on multiple charges of historical sexual assault.
Magistrate Belinda Wallington delivered the ruling in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Tuesday.
Some of the more serious charges were however discharged, with the Magistrate stating there was not enough evidence to go to trial.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The 76-year-old has repeatedly denied the allegations made against him since being charged by Victoria Police last year.
On Tuesday, the Senior Catholic formally pleaded not guilty to the charges for the first time.
Following the ruling, The Archdiocese of Melbourne issued a short statement.
“The Archbishop of Melbourne Denis Hart has declined to make any comment in relation to the decision of the magistrate Belinda Wallington to commit Cardinal Pell to face trial in the county court,” the statement said.
“Archbishop Hart expressed his confidence in the judicial system in Australia and said that justice must now take its course.”
Cardinal Pell was granted bail to appear before the County Court for a directions hearing on May 2.
EARLIER @ 7.40am: Cardinal George Pell will today learn whether he will be committed to stand trial on charges of historical sexual assault.
The 76-year-old is scheduled to appear in Melbourne Magistrates Court for the hearing on Tuesday.
Despite repeatedly denying the allegations made against him, Pell is facing multiple historical sexual offence charges.
The magistrate is set to decide this morning whether there is enough evidence for the case to go to a trial.
If not, the case will be dismissed.
Pell was charged by Victoria Police in June last year.
Today is judgement day for Cardinal George Pell when a Melbourne court will decide whether he will stand trial on multiple charges of historical sexual assault. #GeorgePell #7News pic.twitter.com/hk5znTOGNP
— 7 News Sydney (@7NewsSydney) April 30, 2018