Getting jobs done around the home may be a good New Year’s resolution, but without the proper safety equipment, a simple handyman job could turn to tragedy.
This New Year, the Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) is urging residents to put their safety first when undertaking handyman jobs and renovations around the home.
QAS Commissioner Russell Bowles said paramedics attended many incidents in the New Year as a result of DIY projects which had gone wrong.
“Each year, paramedics respond to injuries which can range from eye trauma, broken bones, lacerations and burns to even electric shock,” Mr Bowles said.
“People who undertake DIY projects must treat their home like a worksite and have the same safety equipment before starting.”
Mr Bowles said that it was important people always put their safety first and took some simple steps to prevent injury.
“Safety gear, such as gloves, steal-cap boots and hard hats are a must to protect yourself from injury and scaffolding may assist you to work safely at heights,” he said.
“People should also be careful when using unfamiliar power tools and ensure they know how to use the equipment correctly.
“DIY projects can be a fun and exciting challenge but taking your time and putting your well-being and safety first is most important.”
Mr Bowles also said it was important to protect yourself from the sun if working outdoors.
“Drinking lots of water, wearing a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen and staying out of the sun at its peak, particularly between 10am-3pm, will help prevent heat related illness,” he said.
“In the unfortunate event that an incident does occur always call Triple Zero (000) immediately.”