NRL

NRL Magic Round to return to Qld in 2022

It looks like Queensland will remain the home of the NRL’s Magic Round.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk confirmed on Sunday morning the massive event will be hosted in Brisbane once again in 2022.

The three-day festival of footy, which wraps up at Suncorp Stadium tonight, has provided a massive boost to the Queensland economy.

It’s estimated a quarter of the 125,000 tickets sold for this weekend’s event went to people outside of Brisbane and 25,000 have been secured by intrastate or New Zealand visitors.

The event is tipped to pump over $20 million into the Queensland economy.

The Premier is also calling for the NRL to cement the event’s future in Queensland long term.

“I’m urging the NRL now to get round the table so we can draw up and sign off on a long-term contract to ensure it to continues to be staged here every year,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“Queensland is the passionate home of rugby league and we were confident it would drive strong economic outcomes and great visitor numbers for our tourism sector.

“Rugby League is in our blood, and NRL Commission chief Peter V’landys has acknowledged that Brisbane has one of the best sporting stadiums in the world.

“While it’s disappointing that despite all our best efforts, the NRL Grand Final still remains firmly in Sydney each year, I want to ensure the Magic Round continues on as a stand-out annual fixture in our state.

“So once the NRL season ends in September I want negotiations started on a new deal to ensure Brisbane remains the true, home of the Magic Round for well into the long term future.

“Continuing to support major events is a vital part of our economic recovery as they pump millions of dollars into our economy and support local jobs,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

Tourism Minister Stirling Hinchliffe said securing the NRL Magic Round for another year was a big win for Queensland.

“We continue to demonstrate Queensland is Australia’s sporting capital,” Mr Hinchliffe said.

“I’m keen to see Magic Round in Brisbane become an NRL tradition like the State of Origin.

“With a Queensland team on the paddock every day of Magic Round this is a uniquely Queensland festival of NRL football.”

Woman killed, another critical after car collides with school bus

A young woman has died and a second is fighting for her life following a horror head-on crash between a school bus and car in western Queensland.

Emergency crews were called to the crash site on the Warrego Highway, around 50km east of Roma, around 3.30pm on Friday.

A Queensland Ambulance spokesperson said 17 children were on board the bus when the crash occurred, with one suffering multiple leg fractures.

Others were treated for cuts, including the 58-year-old bus driver.

A 30-year-old Chinchilla woman who was a passenger in the car died at the scene despite desperate attempts by paramedics to save her.

While the driver of the vehicle, a 37-year-old woman also from the Western Downs, was rushed to hospital in a critical condition.

The highway was closed while the Forensic Crash Unit carried out investigations, but it has since reopened.

Anyone with information is urged to contact police.

If you have information for Police, please contact Policelink on 131 444 or provide information using their online form 24 hours per day.

You can also report information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via crimestoppersqld.com.au 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.

Police hunting shirtless man who allegedly stole ride-on mower

Only in Australia…

Queensland Police have released footage of a shirtless man making what is quite possibly the world’s slowest escape on a ride-on lawnmower, complete with a beer in hand, in a bid to identify and track down the alleged thief.

Police said the man and a woman pulled up at a home in Cairns in a blue Toyota Aurion sedan earlier this month after they spotted the 63-year-old owner of the John Deere lawnmower mowing his lawn.

The alleged thief reportedly told the man that he wanted to purchase a similar mower for a family member and asked if he could take it for a test drive.

However, he hopped on the ride-on and never returned.

WATCH THE VIDEO HERE.

Police said the mower has since been recovered, however, they’re still trying to track down the shirtless beer-drinking thief who allegedly stole it.

The video, which was posted to the Queensland Police Facebook page, has racked up hundreds of comments by people amused by the unique theft.

“New Lawn and order episode looks interesting,” one person wrote.

“He’s Lucky he didn’t mow down any innocent bystanders at that speed,” commented another.

Anyone with information is being urged to come forward.

If you have information for Police, please contact Policelink on 131 444 or provide information using their online form 24 hours per day.

You can also report information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via crimestoppersqld.com.au 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.

Qld’s vaccine orders dwindling as other states ramp up

There are concerns Queensland is falling way behind in its vaccine rollout, with new revelations the state government has significantly reduced its jab orders from Canberra.

Our weekly order at the end of April was just over 41,000 doses, but that number has recently fallen to 24,000 and 21,000 over the last two weeks.

Those order numbers are in line with Western Australia’s figures, but they’ve got half as many people to vaccinate.

Queensland Health says the reduced number is due to the recent health advice around the AstraZeneca dose, but the timeline doesn’t quite add up.

Newscorp revealed that when the updated health advice was released we were still ordering around 35,000 doses a week. It took two weeks for that number to drop off.

Queensland authorities will likely be questioned about the matter this morning.

Police hunting Logan pair over armed robbery investigation

Police are trying to hunt down a pair as they continue to investigate an armed robbery incident in Logan back in April.

They’ve released photos of the two men who allegedly threw objects and a star picket at cars in Logan Central early on April 17.

In one instance, a 33-year-old was driving his white Nissan X-trail north along Ewing Road when it was struck by an object near Albert Street.

The driver stopped, and words were exchanged with one of the men.

While they were talking a second man threw a star picket at his car and caused damage to the bonnet. The driver then drove away without injury.

Police allege the pair threw objects at two other cars around the same time.

Police haven’t provided details around the armed robbery investigation, but have released photos of two men they wish to speak to.

Both men are of Pacific Islander appearance, one is of a heavy build and had a short beard. The second was wearing dark coloured pants, a light purple shirt, white shoes and a black hat. He also had a black bag, a thin gold necklace and a tattoo on the left side of his neck.

Anyone with information about the pair or vision from the night is being urged to come forward.

Investigations are continuing.