SA scraps border reopening with Vic

South Australia has delayed its full border reopening planned for July 20 because of the growing number of coronavirus cases in Victoria.

It will still open up to people from Queensland, Tasmania, Western Australia and the Northern Territory, but a decision on New South Wales and the ACT is still to be made.

The state has also thrown the AFL season into further disarray by announcing quarantine restrictions for Melbourne-based teams or teams who have played in Melbourne.

It follows a similar move announced by Queensland on Monday.

South Australian Premier Steven Marshall says they cannot possibly reopen to Victorians yet.

“We apologise to many people who have had to make changes because of our change of the date of 20 July but our number 1 priority is the health, safety and welfare of all South Australians,” Mr Marshall said.

“We know that this is going to be very difficult for some people who were planning around the 20th. That is why we have made a decision to provide this advice as early as possible.”

The move has again left AFL bosses scrambling with both Adelaide teams due to play in Melbourne in Round 7.

Port Adelaide and the Adelaide Crows are still in their Gold Coast hub but are due to return home after Round 6.

“We know that this will have a dramatic affect on the AFL but we are adopting a position in South Australia which is not dissimilar to what has been announced for Queensland,” Mr Marshall said.

Magnitude 4.2 Earthquake felt across South Australia

Parts of South Australia have been rattled by an earthquake.

The quake, measuring 4.2 on the richter scale, struck near Burra around 3.30pm, at a depth of 3km.

According to Geoscience Australia, the quake could have caused damage up to 6km away and could have been felt by people up to 78km away.

It’s understood to have been the largest earthquake in the state in ten years.

There’s been no reports of any damage or injuries at this stage.

The Bureau of Meteorology has since confirmed there’s no threat of a tsunami.

“An earthquake felt by people in the southeastern parts of South Australia is NOT expected to generate tsunami impacts for Australia,” BOM Australia tweeted.

Man who killed wheelchair-bound wife by pushing her into pond jailed

A man has been sentenced to at least 25 years behind bars for the murder of his wheelchair-bound wife, who drowned after she was pushed into a pond in Adelaide.

Helen Dansie’s body and wheelchair were recovered from a pond in Veale Gardens, in the Adelaide parklands, in April 2017.

Her husband, Peter Rex Dansie, was arrested in 2017 and found guilty of her murder in December last year.

During sentencing today, Justice David Lovell said Mr Dansie, 71, was motivated by wanting to pursue a relationship with another woman in China.

“This was a chilling, planned murder of a person whose mistake was to trust you,” Judge Lovell said.

He sentenced Mr Dansie to life in prison, with a non parole period of 25 years.

Helen’s cousin told reporters outside court that the family will always be heartbroken.

“Helen’s family and friends mourn her and the shocking manner of her death at the hands of a man desperate to control her money,” he said.

“Only time will heal that scar but Peter Dansie’s sentence, thoroughly deserved, might help to protect other vulnerable people.

“Helen suffered from failures in the system which were not there to help somebody of Helen’s triple vulnerability: a disability, age and gender.”

Dansie plans to appeal against his conviction at a hearing in May.

Toddler killed in driveway tragedy

AN 18-MONTH-OLD girl has tragically died after being run over by the family in South Australia.

The little girl sustained life-threatening injuries when she was struck by a 4WD in the driveway of her family’s home.

It happened at Tailem Bend, about 100km southeast of Adelaide, shortly after midday on Saturday.

The toddler was rushed to Tailem Bend Hospital where sadly, despite the desperate efforts of paramedics and doctors to keep her alive, she could not be saved and died of her injuries.

It’s understood the little girl was expected to be flown by emergency helicopter to Adelaide.

Police have described the incident as a “tragic accident”.

Major Crash Investigators have spent the afternoon examining the scene.

It comes exactly a week after a little boy was run over and killed at a home at Angle Vale, north of Adelaide.

Emergency services were called to the Whitelaws Court home last Saturday after the two-year-old was run over by the family car in the backyard.

Paramedics tried resuscitating the boy at the scene but sadly he could not be revived and died before he could be transported to hospital.

Toddler run over and killed by family member

A TODDLER has been run over and killed by a family member in a tragic accident north of Adelaide.

The two-year-old boy was struck by the family car in the backyard of a home at Angle Vale on Saturday morning.

Paramedics were called to the Whitelaws Court home just after 11.30am and found the child unresponsive.

Sadly, despite their best efforts to resuscitate the two-year-old, he could not be revived.

The small boy died at the scene before he could be transported to hospital, SA Police said.

Police have confirmed the child lived at the Angle Vale home and say his family is understandably “inconsolable”.

Major Crash Investigators have spent the day at the scene, investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.